TDS (Total Dissolved Solids)Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) is a term used to define the amount of all the dissolved minerals in the water. Dissolved solids come from rock dissolved by water. High dissolved solids may have the following effects:
- Bad Taste – This could be really any variety of tastes, but more common would be salty, bitter, or astringent
- Scaling – High hardness in conjunction with high alkalinity or sulfates causes scale
- Spotting – Even with soft water, a residue can be left behind on a surface after the water has evaporated
- Mineral Fur – Mineral Fur is found around water spigots/faucets due to the accumulation of solids upon evaporation
- Laxative Effect – caused by high sulfate
Isn’t having minerals a good thing?